Updated: Mar 13, 2021
These heart-shaped cookies are perfect for Valentine’s Day, but the icing is something that can be used anytime of the year! The cookie is drizzled with Strawberry Tea Infused Icing and topped with organic hibiscus and rose petal flowers. This recipe is very simple, but adds lovely subtle notes of the tea flavour of your choice.
This icing recipe is versatile as you can choose any flavour of tea. The measurements below are simply guidelines as this would be lovely as a glaze for a loaf or bundt cake. Depending on how you choose to use the icing, you may need to add more or less tea (liquid) to reach desired consistency.
Strawberry Ballad Infused Icing:
1 cup of icing sugar
4 tablespoons of vegan butter
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons of strongly brewed and completely cooled tea. I used Strawberry Ballad tea by Rain City Tea Co. This recipe will work with any flavour of tea, but just be sure to brew the tea very strongly to enhance the flavour as much as possible.
Extra loose leaf tea for decoration.
1. Prepare half a cup of very strong tea.
2. Let the tea cool completely.
3. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, combine the icing sugar, butter and salt.
4. Add the cooled tea one tablespoon at a time until you reach the consistency you want. Depending on how you use the icing, you may want it thinner or thicker.
5. Once your baked item is cooled, top with icing. If you are using it for a glaze, simply pour the icing over your loaf or cake. For the heart-shaped cookies, I put my icing in a piping bag.
6. Decorate with extra loose leaf tea.
I enjoy Rain City Tea because all of their teas are organic and their tea bags are plastic-free. Their packaging is also plastic-free as well as compostable and they have a goal to be a completely plastic-free business by 2022! We need to support companies like this who care for our environment. Check them out!