Salted Chocolate Pretzel Cookies (Air-Fried)
If you are a big sweet and salty fan, you will love these Salted Chocolate Pretzel Cookies!
A tip I recently came across was to place the flake salt on the bottom of the cookie prior to baking so when you bite into the cookie, the salt hits your tongue first – it is life changing!
If you own an air fryer or have an air fryer setting on your toaster oven, you know it can do magical things when it comes to texture. After air frying these cookies, I don't know if I will bake cookies in a traditional oven again! Air frying the cookies results in a crispy outer layer and a chewy inner layer. They may appear to be not quite done, but after letting them sit and cool off, you are left with a wonderfully crispy and chewy cookie.
You will love these cookies because of the nutty flavours the almond butter and almond flour provide, combined with the salty crunch of the pretzels, and the sweetness from the chocolate. You are left with cookies that are balanced, yet complex with flavour and texture. This is also a one bowl recipe which I am always a fan of because I am not a fan of are extra dishes to wash!
Salted Chocolate Pretzel Cookies
3/4 cup almond butter
5 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
2/3 cup coconut sugar
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup arrowroot flour
2/3 cup oats
3 tablespoons plant-based milk
¾ cup of vegan chocolate
3/4 cup pretzels, chopped (gluten free, if desired)
Flaky sea salt – place on the bottom of the cookie prior to baking for sweet/salty tongue explosion!
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. I used my air fryer! Line air fryer sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine almond butter, coconut oil and coconut sugar until thoroughly combined.
3. Stir in vanilla extract, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. Add flours one at a time until well combined.
5. Add 3 tablespoons of milk to help moisten the batter.
6. Add chocolate and crushed pretzels. Combine well.
7. Roll into golf ball sized balls and press down slightly.
8. Gently flip the cookie over and press flake salt evenly into the bottom of the cookie. Flip cookie back over.
9. Bake cookies for 11 minutes.
10. Let cookies cool completely (if you can!) Enjoy!
For the chocolate in this cookie, I used Chocolate Gems by Hu Kitchen. They are vegan, gluten-free, organic, paleo, non-GMO and absolutely delicious! I love these dark chocolate gems because when they melt, they spread out perfectly, creating a thin and sweet chocolate layer. They are also a delicious treat all on their own. Click the image to learn more about Hu Kitchen.
Cookie recipe adapted from Ever Green Kitchen