Lemon Blueberry Yerba Mate Muffins
Yerba Mate is an amazing herbal tea that comes from naturally caffeinated leaves and twigs from the llex paraguariensis plant. This tree can be found in Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil. It is rich in vitamins and minerals (24 to be exact!), antioxidants and polyphenols. This can help boost energy and focus while offering the same power as coffee (without the crash!).
Zappyo is a Canadian company based out of Ottawa, Ontario. What I love about Zappyo tea is that all of their loose leaf tea blends are made with Yerba Mate. They also taste incredibly fresh and flavourful and are absolutely beautiful; inside and out!
These Lemon Blueberry Muffins are nutrient dense, juicy from the blueberries and pack a lemony zap from the Zappyo Yerba Mate tea. By soaking the oats in Zappyo tea, it makes these the ultimate breakfast muffin or afternoon pick me up snack.
Blueberry Lemon Yerba Mate Muffins
1 cup of strongly steeped and cooled Zappyo Lemon Royale Yerba Mate tea
1 cup of quick oats
1.25 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup of hemp hearts
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 cup of maple syrup
1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup of coconut oil, melted, but not hot
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1.5 cups of frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon of Zappyo Lemon Royale loose leaf tea, for topping
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a muffin tin.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the cooled tea and quick oats. Let sit for 10 minutes so that the tea soaks into the oats.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the maple syrup, coconut oil, applesauce and vanilla extract. Add the oat mixture and combine.
4. Mix the flour, hemp hearts, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Add to the wet mixture and combine.
5. Gently fold in the frozen blueberries.
6. Spoon the mixture into greased muffin tin about 3/4 full. Sprinkle with loose leaf tea.
7. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the centre of the muffin. Let cool before removing from pan.
8. Enjoy with a cup of Zappyo Lemon Royale tea.
To learn more about Zappyo and Yerba Mate, click the image below!
Want to give Zappyo a try? Use my code for a discount: QUINCYB10