4-Ingredient Shortbread Cookies
Updated: Mar 15, 2021
Looking for an easy, pantry friendly, one-bowl recipe that is refined sugar free, dairy-free, vegan and with the option of being gluten-free? Look no further! These cookies are for you!
Although shortbread cookies tend to typically be a holiday cookie, I enjoy this cookie all year long due to its rich, chocolatey, buttery flavour that settles into a wonderful vegan shortbread cookie texture.
The chocolate hazelnut spread is an optional and delicious way to top this cookie off. You could also use melted chocolate or simply nothing at all!
These cookies are sweetened with LIVA date sugar, which is a natural sweetener made from 100% dehydrated dates. It adds the perfect subtle sweetness to these cookies that pairs perfectly to offset the rich cocoa flavour.
4-Ingredient Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
1 cup all purpose flour (or gluten-free alternative)
3/4 cup LIVA Date Sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
¾ cup of vegan butter plus 2 tablespoons
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread or melted chocolate for drizzling (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine all ingredients into a bowl and mix using clean hands.
3. The dough will slowly come together as the butter softens.
4. Roll out the dough approximately 1/4 inch thick onto parchment paper (tip: if the butter gets too warm and the dough feels too soft, chill for 30 minutes then roll out).
5. Once your dough is rolled out evenly, you may either cut the dough into squares using a sharp and slightly damp knife, or a cookie cutter of choice. I used a square cookie cutter in the photos attached. TIP: If the cookie feels too delicate to transfer to the cookie sheet using your hands, use a spatula to transfer the cookies safely.
6. Place each cookie on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, giving each cookie at least once inch of room.
7. Bake for 10 minutes.
8. Let the cookies cool for 3 minutes then move to a wire rack to finish cooling.
9. Once completely cooled, drizzle with melted dark chocolate or hazelnut spread.
10. Transfer cookies to the fridge to let the chocolate set.
To learn more about LIVA Date Sugar and where to purchase, click the image to the right.
What are you favourite natural sweeteners? Comment and share below!